Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Weathered and Weary

There packed sea bags sitting in my bedroom, a to-do list on the dresser, and the weight of an impending goodbye sitting squarely on my heart.  It is once again time for my husband to leave and as the preparations for his departure continue, I feel like I'm stuck in slow motion while the world around me plays on at a normal speed.  We've done this many times before;  we're "experienced" in the art of separating and coming back together.  We are weathered and worn, and truthfully this time is really "no big deal"...2 months is nothing compared to the 7 or 8 we've done in the past.  The difference for me this time is that I feel weary.  I'm tired...not just physically but emotionally.  I'm drained, and looking at an entire summer of being a single mom to three boys seems impossible.  It's more than that though...it's also the fact that Cory and I have connected this year like we never have before.  I feel as though if we "unplug" from what we've come to know the past few months, everything might fall apart.  It scares me, and I wonder if my heart can take it.  Our goodbye is inevitable though, and as with each time we've done it in the past, I will hold my head up and do what needs to be done with strength that can only come from God.
Weariness is difficult;  it's not something that will go away after a good night's rest or by going to get a pedicure with the girls.  It runs deep and it's tied to your soul.  A weary soul sometimes leads you to the point of giving up, but fortunately when we put our faith in Jesus we can find a hope and a cure.    
In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." 
This is one of my favorite verses.  So often in the midst of life my soul cries out for rest;  Jesus promises that in Him we can find that rest.  When we're feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, He says, "just come to me, I'm ready to hold you".  It's such a beautiful truth.  No matter where you are today, what you're preparing for, or what is making you weary, you can turn to Jesus and He will give you rest. 
Thank you Lord that your yoke is easy and your burden is light, and that if we just turn to you, you will take our weariness and give us rest for our souls.  Thank you that you hold our heads up when we are weak and tired, and help us to learn from you each day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment