Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Father

I grew up in a home where both of my parents worked full time.  My childhood was vastly different from the one my children are now experiencing.  I am able to stay at home with my boys, but that wasn't an option for my parents.  While I love my mom immensely, and she has long been one of my best friends, if you asked her she would tell you that I'm a daddy's girl.
My dad worked full time, but he worked from home which allowed him the flexibility to care for my brother and I throughout the day.  In summer he set up our lemonade stand everyday, and during the school year he made sure we got to and from school on time.  He made us breakfast, lunch and dinner, he entertained us and our friends, he listened to us, and he taught us how to cook and fish. 
When my brother and I were in elementary school we took the bus everyday.  Each morning my dad would sit with us at the end of our driveway to wait on it, and as we sat there he would pray over us and teach us scripture.  It's such an amazing gift that he gave me, and I don't think I've ever really thanked him for it. 
One specific part of scripture he taught us was the Lord's Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13).  Recently a speaker at our church talked about about this passage and he asked us to think on the first two words, "Our Father".  He asked us to truly think of ourselves as God's children and to try to wrap our heads around the fact that He is our Father;  we are heirs together with Christ.  The Lord's Prayer teaches us how to talk to our heavenly Father, and I am so thankful that my dad took the time, and saw the importance of teaching me these verses. 
My dad has taught me so many things throughout my life;  he has been an amazing example of unconditional love, of forgiveness, of patience, of hospitality, of gentleness, of kindness, and of goodness.  I am who I am because he has loved me, and has stood by me through everything that has come my way. 
I love you Mom;  you have taught me strength and how to have a voice, but we both know that I'm a daddy's girl...
I love you Dad.  Thank you for introducing me to my heavenly Father, thank you for being there for me, for loving me, and for standing by me...always.  You are an amazing father and I thank God for you. 
Happy Father's Day 

No comments:

Post a Comment