Saturday, June 16, 2012

Crooked Paths on the Straight and Narrow Highway

Ever feel like you're on a crooked path?  Like maybe you've veered slightly off course, or maybe your whole life has been a smidge off center?  Sometimes you might not even realize it until a storm comes and changes the landscape around you;  maybe then you begin to see a straighter path off in the distance? 
I've been struggling lately with this crooked path/straight path conundrum.  We've gone over some major bumps in the road this year, we've had some violent storms come our way, and as we pick through the remnants of what was left behind I'm beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, we veered off course at some point.  It's not that the life we have right now is bad;  it's not that we, being my husband and I, aren't striving to do the right things.  We work hard, we are raising our children in a Godly home, and we have finally figured out how to love each other the way God intended us to.  The thing that has been nagging at me is that maybe, just maybe, the path over there in the distance would be better for us.  I believe that God allowed us to make the choices we have made which brought us to this place we're at;  I believe that as Christians we can walk the straight and narrow road, but that God allows us to choose the crooked paths from time to time. 
I'm wrestling with the question of what is okay to ask of God; is it okay for me to ask God to change our path?  I've been hesitant to say this out loud, I'm still not sure that I'm putting the right words to the question burning inside of me, but I want to know if it's okay to ask God to shake up our lives?  Is it okay to ask Him to lead us on a direct route to that straight path in the distance?  My problem is that in everything, I want His will to be done.  I don't believe in a "genie" God, and I don't want to get my own way all the time...so I've been stuck in the middle, and I've had to lean on scripture for  the answers. 
I can site Matthew 19:26 when Jesus says, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." 
I like John 14:13-14 when Jesus says, "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."
I can come together with my like minded friends and turn to Matthew 18:19-20, "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.  For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." 
You see, I believe in the scripture, I believe that it is living and active, and I believe that God speaks through it.  The verses I sited above have deep and true meaning, but they didn't quite lift the weight that I felt inside.  When I'm looking for answers to the questions that I can barely put words to, I listen for the gentle whisper of the Holy Spirit to bring me comfort and lead me down the right path. 
This time the Holy Spirit brought me to Jesus in Gethsemane.  Mark 14:35-36 says, "Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him.  'Abba, Father,' He said, 'everything is possible for you.  Take this cup from me.  Yet not what I will, but what you will." 
Though I'm not facing death on the cross, this prayer is what is in my heart.  I want so badly for the cup, the crooked path that is before us, to be taken from me, but I also want His will to be done.  The part I have to be open to is that God didn't take that cup away from Jesus;  Jesus had to walk the path and follow His Father's will...even to the point of death.   There might have been another path that looked straighter and less frightening, but it wouldn't have accomplished His purpose.
 I believe that sometimes God allows crooked paths on the straight and narrow highway to fulfill His will;  I can pray for the cup to be taken, but I need to be open to continuing the journey no matter what His answer might be. 
When I need encouragement along the way, I look to Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  Peace comes when I can say that I might not be on the easiest road, but when I turn to God He will walk with me down even the crookedest of paths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment