Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sometimes the Truth Hurts

"Mom, how do these pants look?" ...  I asked this to my mother about three months after having my first baby.  I had gained an unsightly amount of weight and was trying so hard to feel normal again.  "Well, they're not the most flattering, and you do still have some weight to lose..."  Ahhh, my mom...  Those of you who have had close relationships with your moms know that when you want an honest answer, she's the one to ask.  Moms like that don't lie;  when your friends tell you that you look great because they don't want to hurt your feelings, your mom is there to set you straight.  I'm not trying to pick on my mom.  I love her, and I love that she has always been a voice of truth in my life.  Not to say I've always listened to her either;  she's my mom, and what fun would life be if I always followed what she said?  Looking back though, I am so grateful that she told it like it was;  if you don't have a mom like that, I hope you have someone in your life that will do that for you.

God has placed people in our lives to speak the truth to our hearts.  I don't mean that God has given us family and friends so that they can tell us when we don't look so hot;  our job is to remind each other of His truth, His word, and His commandments.  We need to gently and loving remind each other of His way when we start to go our own way; we need to tell each other the truth even when it hurts.
I was reminded this morning of how important truth telling is;  I felt again God's tug on my heart to trust Him, and to not be ashamed of speaking His truth.  Often I feel like my faith is my faith, and often I feel like I might burden others by sharing the truth with them.  Going back to the point of wanting to be "cool", I don't want to be the salt in somebody's wound...that's not "cool".  After all, sometimes the truth hurts.  I realized this morning that  just because I think someone might not want to hear what I have to say, it doesn't mean that they don't;  sometimes people are longing for truth and just don't know where to get it.  In Matthew 5:13 Jesus says, "You are the salt of the earth." In Matthew 5:14 He tells me,  "You are the light of the world."  Salt and Light...a truth radiator. 

Whenever I have a sore in my mouth the first thing my dad asks me is , "Have you put salt on it yet?";  when I need to see in the darkness, the first thing I do is look for a light.  Salt heals, and light helps you find your way. 
I was reminded this morning that sometimes the least likely person you would think needs the truth is probably just the person who is looking for it.  If God is tugging at your heart to speak truth, remember Ephesians 4:15, "speak the truth in love".

 My mom loves me completely, and she has always wanted the best for me;  it takes that kind of love to speak the truth even if it might hurt.  God has given us each other to "sharpen" each other (Proverbs 27:17) and to speak truth to each other in love.  If someone needs to hear the truth, be their salt and light; God has placed you in your family or your circle of friends for a reason, listen for His leading and follow in His way.  The moment you let go of your fear, He will begin to use you for His purpose. 

For my friend who saught truth this morning, I love you.  You are strong and beautiful, and loved by God completely, unconditionally.  I am here for you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment