Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dragonflies

I love dragonflies.  At some point in my life I  heard that they represent change.  I have no idea if that's true, but it's something that has stuck with me and they have become my personal symbol for change.  I'm not into new age things;  I have not one tattoo (though I would pick a dragonfly if I were to get one);  I don't believe dragonflies have mythical powers or are in any way supernatural, spiritual beings.  They're just cool.
A few years back we had come to the end of my husband's tour at a particular squadron here in CA.  It was a sad time for me because I had been surrounded by a group of amazing girls and I wasn't ready to say goodbye.  I had one friend in particular with whom I had become very close...we relied on each other, leaned on each other, laughed with each other and cried with each other through 2 1/2 years during which our husbands were away more than they were home.  Even today she is my best girl friend, the one I call when I just need to be me.  Unfortunately, she was staying on the west coast and I was moving east (and when she moved east I moved back west...ahhh, navy life!).  When we said goodbye, I gave her a vase with two dragonflies on it and told her my theory about them symbolizing change;  three years later we each have dragonflies all over our houses...a tradition was started that day and now when I see a priority mail box from Virginia I can hardly wait to see what form of dragonfly is inside!   
Life (especially military life) is full of change;  the beauty in life comes when we learn to embrace that change.  God doesn't make mistakes and every new adventure or twist in the road can be used to glorify Him.  We might have to move 10 times in 11 years (yup...we have!), we might have to say 'until next time' to friends along the way, we might face losing a baby, or come to a place in our marriage we never dreamed we would;  we might soar with the eagles or have to be carried because we're too weak to walk...but through all of the change in our earthly life, God stays the same.  In Deuteronomy 31:6 Moses is speaking to Israel and says "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord you God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you."  It's cool to me that this promise is repeated again in Hebrews 13:5, "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'"  I love when God reinforces a point in the bible;  I don't know about you but sometimes it takes me hearing things more than once before it actual sinks in. 
Change comes everyday; the seasons of our life pass in the blink of an eye.  God has promised to walk through the change with us...to NEVER leave us.  I get excited about that!
I like having a personal symbol of change;  I like being reminding that nothing stays the same for very long.  I like remembering that our journey here is short, and I love knowing that as I change, He stays the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment